Before you get to the point where you’re rapidly losing motivation for your gym workouts, or making less effort while you’re there and only attempting half-hearted exercises, try spice up your workout with these practical tips:
- Buddy up – If you work out alone then take a friend along or a like-minded acquaintance who you’re happy to get to know. Not only will it add a social edge but you’ll feel responsible for keeping up your gym sessions if they are relying on you being there. Also, while people like to focus, there’s nothing stopping you connecting with other people at the gym too.
- Give your sessions a soundtrack – plug in your iPod with a set gym playlist you don’t have to fiddle around picking music that will motivate you, when my gym tracks are on tasks become more interesting and I find I can work for longer and generally just get lost in my own world. Make sure you’re not totally oblivious to what’s around you though as accidents can happen.
- Don’t just wait around – Sometimes between using weight equipment you take time before moving onto the next challenge. Often, a busy gym means you have to wait your turn anyway. It’s in these moments though that you can feel your interest flagging. Try doing some different exercises during these in-between times, such as using the dumbbells.
- Keep fit in other ways – What else are you doing apart from going to the gym? You might want to keep you circuits as your main focus but are you active the rest of the time? What outdoor pursuits do you do? When’s the last time you tried out a different class, form of exercise or activity? Many athletes use gym time as an add-on, rather than as their whole fitness package.
- Are you working out hard enough? – Of course you don’t want to overdo it but if you’re really getting stuck in and working up a sweat do you really have time to think about being bored, let alone feel it. It’s too easy to go through the motions at the gym without really progressing. Put some power into your workout and you’ll find that boredom doesn’t even factor. Instead you’ll feel exhilarated and ready to seize the day.